Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Just Long Enough to Snap This Photo

Second only to the laundry room in terms of things about Sweden that stress me out is the public transportation.  Beyond just getting myself where I want to go, which, I must say, I'm getting much better at, there are rules I must always be congnizant of as a relative outsider/social butterfly.  On the train, bus or subway, for example, one must never, ever make eye contact with another passenger.  It goes without saying, then, that speaking to someone you don't know is strictly forbidden.  Indeed, speaking at all is frowned upon.  Furthermore, once one has disembarked from the subway to make one's way back to the earth's surface, one must ride the escalator properly.  That means standing on the right, stepping on the left.  I'm pretty sure this is a rule everywhere, but since nobody is going to ask you to get out of the way if you're standing on the left, you really need to make sure you are where you're supposed to be.  Who knows what could happen otherwise.  I'm pretty sure I'm not trying to find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment