Thursday, September 9, 2010

Teaching From The Heart

Today was my last day of Swedish for Immigrants and it snuck up on me big time.  Until last week, I expected to be continuing my education at a more advanced level than SFI, but now that I got a job I will chillax with the knowledge that I've learned everything I'm ever going to about the Swedish language.  Until the next time I turn on the TV or someone opens their mouth to speak or I pick up a newspaper or something, that is.  It's plain that I have a long way to go, but I won't deny that it feels like an accomplishment to have finished the course and to know how far my Swedish has come since that first day back in November.  It is a bittersweet day, though, as I had to say hej då to one of my all-time favorite teachers.  I've been very fortunate to have many gifted and accomplished educators in my history and was blessed to have two more this year:  Tanja, who you've seen in prior posts, and Pirkko, pictured with me above.  To me, the best kinds of teachers are the ones who make you try your hardest because you care about them and respect them and don't want to embarass yourself in front of them.  Pirkko is one of those.  She's not only one of the best teachers I've ever known, she is one of the best people I've ever known.  I have looked forward to the days that I have her class and I never went a whole lecture without laughing at least once.  And I'm pretty sure "Today Pirkko said..." is the most common phrase in our household after "Where's my Lypie?!", so the days are going to be a little less colorful now.   

No comments:

Post a Comment