Monday, March 26, 2012

Uncle Sam, That Rascal

I've been accumulating tax documents over the past couple of months.  They've been rolling in slowly, one by one.  A 1098-E here, a kontrolluppgift there and finally, today, my inkomstdeklaration (I don't think I need to translate that) arrived in the mail and I had all of the pieces of my 2011 US income tax puzzle.  I settled in with my stack of papers and fired up the IRS's free e-file site only to learn that I have to do it old-school-style with paper forms. Lame!  The good news is, I can claim the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion and won't have to pay anything, which is nice since I don't get to enjoy any of the fine service I would have been paying for.  Even so, I think we can all agree that it's a little annoying that I have to file at all. 


3 comments:

  1. do you have to file indefinitely? super lame!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it looks that way, as long as I'm a US citizen, anyway. Aren't you also living abroad? What's your experience been?

      Delete
    2. i've been told to file claiming zero just to be thorough, but i have taken the French attitude ; why do today what i can do tomorrow...or in several years?

      Delete