Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Best of Sweden

I've been meaning to make a playlist of the most impressive pop music that has come from Sweden since I moved here since... well... since I moved here. Obviously Sweden has a long history of exporting music that becomes globally successful and, of course, plenty of Swedish-language pop music that never made it outside of our borders because of the language barrier. That's not my specialty, though. Well, music in general isn't my specialty, unless we're talking about a few select artists (Holla, Simon & Garfunkel!) but I've run across so much excellent pop music since I've been here that I feel qualified to create a playlist of some of the best songs by Swedish artists. Some of them you may recognize (Robyn, anyone?), some I hope you'll recognize (we hear that First Aid Kit, Tove Lo, and Lykki Li are making names for themselves in the States) and many you will have never heard of, nor understand. In the last category, Swedish artists who sing in Swedish, I chose songs that I feel are so good that you don't need to understand the text. I can confirm that this is true because, while I hardly ever have a hard time understanding spoken Swedish nowadays, I sometimes still have trouble making out song lyrics.

You can find the playlist on Spotify under the title Best of Sweden, by the user stormbois or create one yourself from the list below.  

Hädanefter - Veronica Maggio
Hard Time - Seinabo Sey
Annie Leibovitz - Timbuktu
Freak - Molly Sandén
Där dit vinden kommer - Lorentz
70/30 - Llojd
Stay High - Tove Lo
Valborg - Håkan Hellström
Hey Brother - Avicii
Paradise Jokkmokk - Kitok
Undressed - Kim Cesarion
Genom eld - Oskar Linnros
Gubben i lådan - Daniel Adams-Ray
Annie Hall - Oskar Linnros
Call Your Girlfriend - Robyn
Hang With Me - Robyn
Jag saknar dig mindre och mindre - Melissa Horn
Hugger i sten - Lars Winnerbäck
My Silver Lining - First Aid Kit
Emmylou - First Aid Kit
No Rest For The Wicked - Lykke Li
The Ocean Is a Whisper - Simian Ghost
Där jag hänger min hatt - Norlie & KKV
Sverige - Kent
Don't You Worry Child - Swedish House Mafia
Save the World - Swedish House Mafia
Vita Bergens klockor - Little Jinder
Måndagsbarn - Veronica Maggio
Vid protesfabrikens stängsel - Håkan Hellström 

No comments:

Post a Comment