Friday, November 11, 2016

My Life Flows On In Endless Song, Above Earth's Lamentations

On Wednesday morning when I woke up and turned on the TV (we discovered this week that we get CNN) things were looking grim. I went on with my routine and when I finally opened the curtains there was well over a foot of snow on the ground and it was still coming down. It was breathtaking in its beauty, but wildly inconvenient for traffic. My twenty-minute commute turned into an hour, at the end of which Swedish public radio announced that America's next president had been chosen. That night I had choir practice and I was remembering 9/11, when I was at Marietta College and all classes had been cancelled - except choir practice. The conductor said that this is when we need to sing most of all. I'll never forget that. The weather prevented all but a handful from attending practice on Wednesday, but I was there. I needed to sing.

No comments:

Post a Comment