Tuesday, May 30, 2017

With Children

For almost five years, Jamie's teachers have been telling us at parent meetings that we should feel free to spend a day with their class. With very few preschool days left, I settled on this past Wednesday. It was honest-to-goodness one of the best days of my life. I got to see what Jamie is like in his own little world and was so impressed with how he handles himself and how self-sufficient he is. We played tag in the woods and learned about which plants you can and cannot eat, and the kids rubbed dandilions all over their faces and argued over who got to hold my hand on the walk home and sit next to me at story time. During lunch, the kids talked about what happens after you die, then they all cleared their own plates. In the afternoon, all of the kids born in 2011 got to visit the school that they'll be starting at in August and meet their teachers and play with their sponsors, kids who will be in second grade in the fall and who will help get them accustomed to the new environment. Jamie's sponsor is named Irma and she's adorable and was holding his hand and showing him around. I was so glad I got to be there. At the end of the day I was exhausted and cannot fathom how Jamie doesn't just collapse in bed after school every day. I certainly wanted to, but then we were invited to dinner at Axel's and the kids were getting along really well and it was hot on their porch and I had a cold bottle of rosé and who could say no to all of that?

No comments:

Post a Comment