Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Getting to Know Moses Cleveland




You know how, in America, when we want to make a name cutesy we just add an "ie" or "y" on the end?  Kate becomes Katie, Nicole becomes Nicky, Charles becomes Charlie.  Well here they add an "is" on the end.  One of my favorite moments with The Swede, a moment that made me feel more at home here than almost anything else, was when, without thinking, he called me "Maris" in front of his family.  Moses Cleveland, aka Saba, gets this treatment regularly and is referred to as "Sabis" much of the time.  Sabis is the most beautiful cat I've ever seen.  I'm glad I never saw her as a kitten because I'm pretty sure I would have died over the cuteness.  While she certainly looks sweeter than Nelson, she only likes to be cuddled under very specific terms.  For example, she's one of those cats that rubs her whole self against your leg, yet if you reach down to pet her she'll most likely walk away.  Also, she won't sit with you on the couch or in bed unless you have a blanket over you.  She doesn't want to touch your icky human body, so just think again.  This sweetie will be the first to come up and give you a personal thank you when you fill her food dish and never makes the slightest peep, but she also chews through electrical cords, acts like you're trying to murder her when you comb her and scratches in the catbox in the middle of the night for (I am not exaggerating) five minutes straight like she's building a damn sandcastle in there.  But who can think of that when she's laying on her back on the wood floor with her little white paws in the air?

1 comment: