Thursday, March 25, 2010

A Bit of a Stretch

Pay special attention to the waffle cone in this picture because this post is actually about waffles, not ice cream.  Or my waistline.  Anyway, I was forced to buy this because they don't have frozen waffles in our market (or possibly in Sweden, as far as I know) and we don't have a waffle iron but we had to have waffles today because, well, it's waffle day.  Våffeldagen.  Guys, I cannot make this stuff up.  I realize it sounds a little random to have a holiday for waffles, but it's quite the opposite indeed.  You see, this is a Christian celebration dating back to at least the 1400's that commemorates the Virgin Mary.  Confused?  Don't be.  You're about to learn that it makes PERFECT SENSE.  Our Lady's Day, every March 25th (nine months before Christmas, so you do the math as to the significance of the date), is "Vårfrudagen" in Swedish and if you say it a couple of times fast it begins to sound like Våffeldagen.  See?  So while I admit it was stretching it to celebrate waffle day with a packaged waffle cone sundae, I think we can all agree that turning this centuries-old Christian tradition into another pastry-packed indulgence fest is totally legit.

No comments:

Post a Comment