Thursday, April 14, 2011

Big Brother

It's a gorgeous day here, but I've spent most of it indoors packing and underground in the subway.  I took the day off of work to pack up our kitchen and closets and also decided to use the available weekday to go into the city and apply for an ID card with my new last name at Skatteverket, the Swedish tax agency.  It may sound like a pain of a task, but since Skatteverket knows everything about everyone in this country, it was incredibly simple and took less than ten minutes.  I basically just had to walk in with some proof of something about myself and they could look me up in their computer system and know my life story, which is a little creepy but also very convenient considering there's never any paperwork to fill out and I could file my taxes via text message.  I think we Americans feel more comfortable thinking that the government doesn't know everything about us, but c'mon, of course they do, and it sure simplifies things when everyone admits it.

No comments:

Post a Comment