Sunday, November 18, 2012

The Twin Tornados

With Sarianne off at another one of her VIP blogger events in the city and The Swede helping a friend lay new flooring, I had the pleasure-slash-challenge of being a single mother of two on Saturday afternoon. It was not easy. In fact, it was one of the hardest things I've ever done. Just keeping track of where they were was challenging enough, let alone keeping track of my cool. You can't say things like "stay within slapping distance" in this country or someone'll drop a dime. Plus you can't yell at other people's kids and yelling at babies is unbecoming so I really needed to maintain my composure.  
No, in retrospect taking them to eat at Ikea during the lunch rush was not my most strategic move. Two trays of meatballs plus baby-on-the-hip plus "I'm sweating, please hold my coat"wasn't as disastrous as it could have been, however, as we all did make it out of the place. Home was better, simply because of the calming absence of strangers but they blew through all the tricks I had up my sleeves pretty quickly.  It wasn't long before Julia began asking when her mom was coming back and I was considering sterilization. I should probably mention that they were incredibly well behaved the entire time, it's just apparently a lot more work than I'm used to to keep even good, adorable kids fed, occupied, and safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment