Saturday, October 2, 2010

Dupe

Despite my general love of autumn, I have found that it is the time of year that I miss home most.  Maybe it's how beautiful Cleveland is in the fall with all of its colorful trees, or the knowledge that I'll soon be missing my favorite holiday, Thanksgiving, but I am 100% certain that about 78% of what I miss about fall in the US is Starbuck's Pumpkin Spice Latte.  Seriously, ever single day that I wake up starting from the debut of the Pumpkin Spice Latte till the day it discontinues to make room for the Eggnog Latte, I berate myself for ever having felt so guilty about the indulgence that I didn't drink one every single day that they were in season when I lived in the States.  Then, of course, I move on to scolding myself over the Eggnog Latte, but that's for another day, another season.  I miss the Pumpkin Spice Latte so much that I have required Selah to have them in my honor since I've left (someone I love should be enjoying them, right?) and so much that I Googled recipes for it on my lunch break yesterday and spent a little time translating the spice aisle at the grocery store today.  Unfortunately, I can't seem to find canned pumpkin in Sweden, but I have a bag of Starbucks ground coffee that Mama Swede picked up for me in London and I was able to get my hands on nutmeg, cinnamon and allspice and guess what?  It kinda worked.  Granted, it's difficult to tell exactly how close it is to the real thing when you're not drinking it out of the white paper cup, which I'm convinced has an effect on the flavor and overall experience, but I may just be satisfied.  Nevertheless, you can count on my next trip to America to fall sometime in September.

2 comments: