Monday, October 4, 2010

Not Buying It

Well, it's been a few months so Sweden was due for another pastry-themed holiday.  Enter the kanelbulle, the cinnamon roll.  I've been trying to come up with some American food that has the same cultural significance as the kanelbulle but I got bupkis.  This is a food item that Swedes eat ALL THE TIME.  Seriously, all the time.  So imagine my surprise when our office received a fax from a local bakery announcing kanelbulle day since, you know, every day is kanelbulle day.  To me this felt a little like the greeting card and candy people's marketing creation Sweetest Day, just a cooperative ploy by a particular industry to sell more product.  I guess they didn't count on Anna, our colleague in the finance department, making them from scratch for the whole office instead of dumping her hard-earned kronor into the pastry sector.

No comments:

Post a Comment