Thursday, July 2, 2015

Nostalgia

One sweltering summer day nine years ago, Cary and her mom Petra and I spent the afternoon on the terrace of a restaurant in the suburbs of Cleveland and had peaches soaked in wine. I will never, ever forget that afternoon, not because anything happened, but because nothing at all did, the hours stretched on forever, and it felt like we were on an island paradise even though we were just minutes from home. Afternoons like that are hard to come by in any case an nearly impossible as a parent. Case in point: today I was on actual vacation, at home alone with Jamie, it was sweltering, we didn't have any plans and yet it was nonstop action. I'm going to try to recreate the refreshments from that afternoon on the terrace, anyway, and after Jamie goes to bed I'll drink out of this jar and think of Cary and Petra.

No comments:

Post a Comment