Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Cleveland Rocks

I've been waking up sometime between four and five in the morning since I arrived here in Cleveland. Jet lag is a beast, y'all. This morning I watched the local news with the newscasters who were once so familiar until it got light enough that I was pretty sure I wasn't going to get mugged out on the street in front of the hotel. I jest. Sort of. Anyway, I walked across the street to Starbucks to pick up some lattes for my colleague and I, and for the first time since I've been here I missed America. The sunrise, the traffic, the smells, the steam floating up from the manholes. There was nothing in that moment that I have ever thought to miss in the four years since I moved to Sweden, and missing them then didn't make me sad, it just made me grateful that I had woken up so early and been given the gift of that lovely moment, just my old home and me.

No comments:

Post a Comment